The Olympic Values Education Programme(OVEP) was designed by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in an effort to help members of the Olympic family to fulfill their responsibility to promote the educational values of Olympism. OVEP is a tool to maintain young people’s interest in sport, encouraging them to practise sport and promote the Olympic values.
“Olympism is not a system it is a state of mind – It can permeate a wide variety of modes of expression and no single race or era can claim to have the monopoly of it.” Pierre de Coubertin
In 2012 the SVGNOC hosted an OVEP training session for both teachers and school administrators from across the country. The training session provided an opportunity for participants to learn about the educational values of Olympism as well as how to include the values education in the school curriculum.
Following this successful training session, the SVGNOC was very proud to be able to launch a pilot project for the 2013/2014 school year. Nine secondary schools from throughout St. Vincent and the Grenadines will be working together, and with the SVGNOC, to include Olympic Values Education in the classroom.
The nine schools participating in the pilot project include:
- Bequia Community High School
- Buccament Bay Secondary School
- Emmanuel High School – Mesopotamia
- Georgetown Secondary School
- Liberty Lodge Special Needs School
- Petit Bordel Secondary School
- St. Joseph’s Convent – Kingstown
- St. Vincent Grammar School
- Union Island Secondary School
Visit our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/SvgOVEPAndJO – link to be embed within ‘Facebook Page) in order to follow the progress of the pilot project and to access excellent resource information!
Whereas OVEP is a global programme there are many resources available to educators. The following are just some of the valuable resources which you may benefit from:
IOC Olympic Values website – http://www.olympic.org/olympic-values-and-education-program
· Canadian Olympic School Programme – http://www.olympic.org/canadian-olympic-school-programme
· Dominique/ Olympic Values and culture, summer camp – http://www.olympic.org/dominique-olympic-values-and-culture-summer-camp
· Australia – a.s.p.i.r.e School Network – http://www.olympic.org/australia-aspire-initiatives
· Olympic & Paralympic Values – http://schoolsonline.britishcouncil.org/warm-up-for-the-games/competition-theme-2